belatedly World mental health day.
World Mental Health Day is observed on 10 October every year, with the overall objective of raising awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health. https://bit.ly/1otLQ67
how to order a prednisone taper How do we raise awareness?
Cergy First of all we talk about it! We make it as normal as discussion around how often you go to the gym. As normal as discussing healthy eating. It is vital that we normalise our health in all areas. Body, mind and spirit.
Mental health is common to all, but the degree of stigma attached to common mental health issues keeps it mostly under the radar. Dame Kelly Holmes is doing her part in highlighting the issues and is speaking out. https://bit.ly/2Pna8RQ
Hindoria What is good mental health?
Mental health is defined as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her own potential. They can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and are able to contribute to her or his community.
What is the price being paid by businesses?
- 1 in 6 people experience mental health issues in the workplace
- Women in full-time employment are twice as likely as men to have common mental health problems.
- 7% of sickness absence days are attributed to mental health conditions
- 5 million days were lost to stress and other mental health issues 2016/2017 https://bit.ly/2y8rsUd
- 30% of workers:7 million people say that feeling stressed because of heavy workloads and performance pressure impacts their productivity.
Which sectors and industries have the most stress?
- 87% healthcare
- 87% social care
- 86% charity
- 86% recruitment and HR
- 84% law. https://bit.ly/2y7qQ1g
Most importantly, providing support via coaching or counselling builds resilience. People who self-refer to a service accessible via their work-place feel valued.
Therefore when staff are supported they can be more present at work. They are less distracted, and productivity is increased. Having a safe place to unpack inner thoughts provides the freedom to change and grow. Staff respond positively to support that is confidential and funded by the organisation. Because at the end of the day it says, ‘I believe in you.’
6 Tips to manage mental health
- Sleep deprivation has a devastating effect on our health impacting our lives at home and at work. Work out the hours of sleep you need.
- Alcohol is not often thought of as a major factor in mental health. However, it can leave you depressed and anxious and less able to concentrate. Have 3 consecutive days alcohol free a week.
- Food. It is vital that we eat the correct nutrients in order to maintain good health, both physically and mentally. Eat a rainbow of colour each meal.
- Exercise. It does not mean necessarily joining up to the local gym. Movement increases the endorphins released in the brain, these ‘feel good’ chemicals support good mental health. Move more.
- Stress management. Not all stress is bad for you. However, understanding your triggers and managing your life and work will enable you to live well. Examine your work-life balance.
- Life is not all about work. Rediscover the things you love to do, find a way to wind down. Have fun!